Job Title: OTR Class A Driver
Reports To: Assigned Dispatcher
Transport and deliver freight in a safe, efficient, predictable, legal manner while completing and maintaining all necessary paperwork required under state, federal law and regulations.
Responsibilities and Duties
• To inspect truck and trailer for defects and safe operating condition before, during and after each trip and submit a written Driver Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR) each time a defect is found. To ensure truck cleanliness both inside and out. Trailer must be cleaned (remove debris, pull nails, and swept out minimum.) before loading at customer or dropping in yard.
• To submit neat, accurate and complete paperwork at the end of each round and meet all other paperwork timelines, as required.
• To drive truck to destination in accordance with DOT laws.
• Apply knowledge of commercial driving skills in maneuvering vehicle at varying speeds in difficult situations, such as heavy traffic, inclement weather or in tight loading dock areas.
• Maintain records required for compliance with state and federal regulations including E-Logs, driver’s logs, records of fuel purchases, mileage records, toll receipts and other records required by law.
• Promptly report any delays due to breakdown, weather, traffic conditions, accidents or other emergencies or in the event of irregularities relating to pick up or delivery of cargo.
• Operate forklift and other loading equipment for loading and unloading trailers.
• Comply with all state laws and company policies governing the use of a cell phone while driving.
• Properly secure freight to assure safety and minimize risk of damage to cargo and minimize danger to people.
• Maintain a clean, well-groomed appearance and a calm and professional attitude, at all times.
• Report all accidents and ALL personal injury to the Safety Department immediately, regardless of severity.
• Comply with all company and safety policies.
• Comply with federal, state and local laws governing the Transportation Industry.
• Maintain a safe work environment according to all department procedures.
• Perform other duties, as assigned, to meet business requirements.
• High School Diploma or GED
• Valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License
• Meet or exceed the medical standards of the FMCSA/FTA
• Must pass drug test requirements by the DOT
• Able to speak English clearly and write English legible
• Greater than 2 current years of tractor-trailer driving experience
• Clean MVR – no speeding tickets, moving violations in the past 3 years
• Working knowledge of vehicle safety and control systems
• Forklift certification, when required
• Ability to read, write and perform simple mathematical calculations with mental ability to handle receipt, read maps, road signs, maintain logs, etc.
• Knowledge of current DOT regulations governing safe driving hours of service, inspection, maintenance and transportation
• Flexibility for around the clock trips to accommodate freight movements
• Clearly understand driver may be subject to irregular work schedules, temperature and weather extremes, long trips, potential short notice for assignment of trip and unintended delays in route.in all kinds of weather.
• Able to be away form home for extended periods of time
• Able to lift up to 50 pounds
• Able to crank dollies
• Able to open and close doors to standard, over-the-road dry & temperature controlled trailers and ocean containers
• Able to tolerate all weather conditions
• Able to sit and remain alert while driving for an aggregate period of up to 11 hours
• Able to shift manual transmission and operate foot pedals
• Perform occasional crouching to handle and position freight
• Lift and stack pallets
• Position load bars and other load securement devices, as necessary, to secure load
• Pull nails out of trailer floor with a crow bar
• Able to enter trailer from the ground
• Able to hook and unhook various commercial vehicle combinations, manually lower and raise landing gear, operate the fifth wheel release lever, open and close cargo doors
• Fuel vehicle, check engine oil, break system, coolant levels ant all other systems necessary for the safe operation of the commercial motor vehicle
I have read the above and understand what is required of my employment.